How to get rid of scratches in your glass
No matter how many coasters, place mats and covers we place on our tables and other glass surfaces, they are always prone to small scratches and chips. Not to fear though, here at ScS our glass specialists have put together some handy tips on how to get rid of these pesky scuffs.
If you can’t feel the scratches whilst running your finger over the top of the glass surface, then you should be able to buff it out quite easily.
- Make sure the surface is clean using some form of glass cleaner and a damp cloth, then dry afterwards.
- Rub in a metal polish using circular motions until it is fully rubbed in.
- Give the full glass surface a polish to clean it using a soft cloth.
If your scratches are a lot deeper and are not treated by the above steps, then try this:
- Clean the glass thoroughly with a clean damp cloth, and dry afterwards.
- Apply a small amount of metal polish to the cloth and rub into the glass using circular motions. For this you will have to apply a lot of pressure to make sure the scratches are being worked thoroughly.
- Once polished, apply a clear nail polish over the area, trying to minimise the contact with the surrounding glass as much as possible. This should fill in and remove the deep scratches.
- Let the polish seep in and dry for about an hour.
- Apply a small amount of nail polish remover to a microfibre cloth and gently start wiping away the nail polish in circular motions.
- Give your table a final polish and admire your glistening new glass table.
How to avoid scratches.
The best way to avoid scratches on your dining tables, side tables or even coffee tables is ensuring that coasters are used at all times. If plants or ornaments are going to be used, then make sure that these have rubber pads on the bottom or another material which is going to soften its impact on the glass. Another great way to protect dining tables is to use table runners down the middle of the table. Not only will these help protect the table against any centrepieces, but they can also be an attractive addition to the table.
Subscribe to the ScS Newsletter for promotions & offers