The inside guide to creating your dream farmhouse dining room
There’s something instantly comforting about a farmhouse kitchen. Maybe it’s the warm, rustic wood or the large, inviting dining table, where many an evening is spent enjoying hearty meals and great company.
Farmhouse dining rooms help make a house a home, with their functional yet cosy features and timeless styling. No wonder they’re the hub of so many homes, and have been for so many decades.
Here, we guide you through the key elements of farmhouse design that can easily be incorporated into roomy rural locations, as well as modern inner city pads.
What is the farmhouse style?
Farmhouse style essentially means inviting, comfy and functional. For many, farmhouse dining instantly conjures up images of delicious pots of home cooking being rustled up for friends and family, who are all gathered together for some much-needed quality time.
From an interior design perspective, farmhouse style translates into heavy wooden furniture, chunky detailing, open shelving and a touch of shabby chicness to it all!
What is a farmhouse style table?
Farmhouse tables are the centrepiece of all great farmhouse dining room layouts. There’s something raw, natural and rustic about farmhouse dining tables. By this, we mean they usually feature a chunky wooden top made from solid planks of oak or pine or some other form of wood, reclaimed or new.
The legs are distinctively ‘farmhouse’ too - sturdy wooden spindles. When it comes to modern farmhouse design, look out for tables in different colour combinations and material combinations too, e.g. wooden top and metal legs.
How wide should a farmhouse table be?
From a practical perspective, the width of your farmhouse table depends on how large your dining room or kitchen is.
While the farmhouse dining vibe is all about making your table one of the key features of your space, you need to have enough space to easily use and walk around it.
The good news is, farmhouse tables are available in a range of dimensions, so you should easily find something that fits your home. But generally speaking, most farmhouse dining tables are between 36" and 40" wide. Four-seater tables are around 48" long, and five to six-seaters are at least 60" long.
5 tips for transforming your dining room into a farmhouse dining room
Turning your dining room into a farmhouse-style dining room is easier than you may initially think! Here are some tips to help you get started:
1. Strip your colour scheme back to neutrals – for a fresh country look, opt for neutral colours (no more than three). Examples include: cream, white, greys and beiges.
2. Bring in chunky wood pieces – this most definitely should include a hardy, butcher’s block-type table and chunky chairs or benches. And if you have the space, a wooden sideboard or dresser (both can be painted in different colours, e.g. duck egg or grey for a more modern look). For a table/bench dining set, take a look at the Marylebone Dining Table, Bench & 4 Chairs or the Harper 1.8m Fixed Top Dining Table with 2 Check Scroll Back Chairs & Bench.
3. Introduce spindles – whether it’s spindle legs on your table or spindle legs on your chair backs and legs, spindles instantly scream farmhouse design.
4. Use natural materials – for instance, rush rugs, rattan light shades, wicker baskets, bamboo placemats; they all look the part in a farmhouse kitchen.
5. Accessorise the space – keep your dining table set as the focal point, but also incorporate farmhouse details, such as decorative plates (on the walls or in dressers), fresh herbs, wooden decorations and heavy ceramic vases.
Modern farmhouse dining sets
Cruz 1m Extending Dining Table & 4 Button Back Chairs
This Cruz dining set is brimming with country character with a contemporary twist. The traditionally- jointed top adds to the rustic look of this stunning dining and occasional furniture collection.
- Crossback, button back, ladder back and scroll back dining chairs available
- Three sizes of extending dining tables available for all room sizes
- Traditional joint detailing
Brooklyn 1.3m Extending Dining Table with 4 Natural Cross Back Chairs
The radiant warm oak finish and traditional style look right at home in any dining room, with detailing including rounded corners, solid proportions and tapered legs.
- Dining table can be purchased with or without dining chairs
- Oak, oak veneer, pine traditional design options
Becks 1.8m Fixed Top Dining Table with 4 Check Scroll Back Chairs
Classic and contemporary, this dining set is a real head-turner with its chunky statement legs in a contrasting charcoal finish. Gently lime-washed oak tops finished with chrome cup handles really make this set look the part in any surrounding.
- Contemporary, statement legs in a charcoal finish
- Four sizes of extending dining tables available for all room sizes
Like the criss-cross leg style? Take a look at the Victoria dining set too.
Rustic dining table sets
Romeo 1.25m Extending Dining Table & 4 Cross Back Chairs
Rustic charm and timeless styling combine to create the Romeo dining set, featuring a traditionally-jointed top, adding to the overall country look.
Traditional joint detailing
Two sizes of extending dining tables available for all room sizes
Isabella Round Dining Table & 4 Chairs
Classic country living comes alive with the Isabella dining set. Featuring an oak veneer table top, the classic ivory lacquer base perfectly complements the oak tones. Choose between a rectangle or round pedestal table.
- 25mm oak veneer table top and ivory lacquer base
- Dining table and chairs can be purchased separately
Temple Dining Table & 6 Chairs
Traditional farmhouse joint detailing and tapered legs are among the key features of the Temple dining set, which features a large top and extendable table option.
- 35mm top and a 40cm butterfly extension system
- White oak and solid veneers
What’s not to love about farmhouse style, whether it’s modern farmhouse or rustic farmhouse? No wonder it’s been around for so many years and will continue to be around for many more!
Published: 8th April 2022
Subscribe to the ScS Newsletter for promotions & offers