Recliner pro’s and con’s
When you imagine a comfortable sofa, a recliner is generally the first thing that comes to mind. Perfect for putting your feet up after a long day and great for a nap, a recliner is the iconic sofa for home comfort. Dating back as early as the 1800’s, the style has evolved into the modern recliner that we know today.
The tendency for Americans to put their feet up and lean back in their chairs led to the design of wood slat chairs which became popular when upholstered. In 1929, two American cousins founded La-Z-Boy, creating their unique recliner mechanism which allowed them to take the recliner market by storm. These designs are essentially the same as the recliners still sold today.
Manual and recliner
These days there are two main types of recliners available; manual and power. Manual recliners are adjusted by hand, with a lever or body motion while power recliners use an electric motor to change position at the touch of a button, giving you the option to adjust to a more precise angle.
At ScS, we have put together a recliner-buying guide, highlighting the pros and cons of a recliner to help you make the decision!
● Recliners are perfect for relaxing after a long day. You can kick back in comfort in front of the TV and catch up on your favourite shows or watch a movie.
● A recliner is a versatile piece of furniture. Not only can it be used as seating but with its adjustable design, it can be used to sleep on too. Ideal for homes where space is limited, a recliner won’t take up the room a sofa bed will.
● Power recliners need no physical strength to operate the mechanism so they allow people of all ages and abilities to recline easily.
● Recliner sofas are typically sectional, so you can choose which part of your sofa you want to recline. Not all seats have to recline at the same time
● Recliners tend to take up more space than regular sofas and chairs as they need plenty of room around them to recline. If you have a small living space then a recliner probably isn’t the best choice for you. Make sure you measure the room before you buy to make sure you can fit a recliner in the space.
● Recliners can be heavy because of the additional mechanisms, so they aren’t ideal if you plan on moving your furniture frequently.
● Power recliners require a power source to operate. Depending on where your plug sockets are located in your home, you may be limited to where you can place your recliner.
Subscribe to the ScS Newsletter for promotions & offers