Caring for your fabric sofa
I've put together this care guide to help you keep your sofa looking its best for longer. With my handy top tips, you’ll always be on top of your sofa maintenance so you can enjoy your gorgeous furniture for many years to come.
10th February 2023
Everyday advice for looking after your fabric sofa
Keeping your fabric sofa looking its best for longer takes a little TLC, though if you follow my handy everyday hints and tips you won’t go wrong:
- For maximum comfort, sit centrally on the cushions and avoid sitting on the arms or the front edge of your sofa, as this can speed up the wear process. Also, avoid putting any pressure on the side panels of a sofa, including the outside arms and back panels
- Keep your curtains drawn or use a throw to cover any exposed fabric from direct or prolonged sunlight to avoid fading
- Avoid placing your furniture too close to radiators or fires as excessive heat will cause fading or cracking to your furniture
- Gently vacuum your fabric sofa once a week with a soft brush attachment to remove any dirt or dust, which over time can lead to dulling of the fabric – paying particular attention to the front of the arms
- Plump additional scatter cushions once a day to retain their shape and comfort
- Rotate reversible cushions regularly
- As you have natural oils that build up on the sofa, in particular the arms and back cushions, it’s important you pay attention to those areas whilst doing your spot cleaning
- Always check whether the cushion covers are washable before putting them in a washing machine
- All removable seats and back cushions should be regularly plumped up, and if covered on both sides, turned regularly to even wear and maintain the shape
When moving your sofa, you should always enlist the help of another person to avoid the risk of damaging your sofa or injuring yourself. You may want to consider using furniture glides as this will make it easier to move your sofa and protect your flooring.
How to look after fibre and foam-filled cushions
Whether you choose soft fibre-filled seat interiors or a firmer foam seat interior, it’s important to look after them daily to keep them in good condition, ensuring you can relax in comfort every time you sit on your sofa.
Fibre-filled cushions give sofas a ‘lived-in’ appearance due to their soft nature, so be sure to plump and reshape them daily to keep their shape and comfort, like you would with pillows on your bed.
Where fibre fill cushion covers are zipped, they should be unzipped during the plumping process as this will allow air to easily enter into the fibre fill interior whilst the plumping up takes place.
Turning and rotating fibre fill cushions twice weekly where it is possible to do so, will also help to maintain shape and improve resilience.
Foam-filled cushions start their life with a firmer appearance, but within the first few months of use they will soften. This is a natural process, so don’t worry, it’s not a fault of the product. Wherever possible, ensure all seats receive equal use.
If you have chosen a fabric sofa with fixed back cushions and arm pads, smooth out any creases daily to maintain the best look and shape. Similar to fibre-filled, be sure to plump and reshape your cushions regularly so they retain their shape.
For more advice on how to plump your sofa cushions, visit our sofa plumping guide.
How to get stains & spills out of a sofa
Accidents are spillages are inevitable. To clean up the spill, start by using a clean towel or cloth to soak up as much of the excess as possible. Making sure to pat the area gently, being careful not to rub the spill into the fabric.
Next, consult your manufacturer's care guide to treat the rest of the spillage, keeping in mind that different fabrics may require different treatments.
If you have yet to purchase your fabric sofa, you may wish to purchase one of our fabric sofa care kits, which include specialist cleaning solutions designed specifically for fabric sofas. Please note, these kits are not available to purchase separately.
Never miss another sale! Sign up to our emails today