How to measure for flooring
Ordering new flooring for your home is easy with ScS, but there is a few things to consider making sure the process, from measuring to fitting, is as smooth as possible.
When you have chosen the carpet, vinyl, laminate or wood flooring that you like, take some time before you place your order to look at our guide to measuring for flooring below. This guide includes advice on how to measure for carpets, laminate, wood flooring and vinyl, so whatever you have chosen, you can make sure your new flooring is the perfect fit.
The smarter way to buy flooring
- Measure your room and calculate the price of your chosen flooring, not forgetting to add the cost of any underlay or accessories. For tips on how to measure for flooring, please read our handy guide below.
- You can place your order in any of our 100 stores or online, the choice is yours. For more information on how to do this, see our Ordering page. On each individual carpet product page you will find a helpful and easy-to-use flooring calculator. If you would like to order flooring for more than one room you can also do this online. Simply click ‘add room’ once you have finished the order for your first room.
- Once you have submitted your details, we will give you a call to advise you of the next steps in the ordering process.
- We are happy to send an ScS surveyor to your property to re-measure your room to ensure your new flooring will fit, for added reassurance.
- If you have ordered carpet or vinyl flooring, one of our independent fitters will visit your home within 10 working days to lay your flooring, click here for more advice on delivery times.
- If you have ordered laminate or wood flooring, this will be delivered to your home as soon as possible. For more information on when we deliver, see our delivery page.
How to measure for carpets or vinyl flooring
Measuring your room for a new carpet or vinyl flooring might seem like the most difficult part of the buying process, but it’s actually quite simple. Measure the length and width of your room in metres and simply add 10cm to allow for the walls running out, as well as any fixtures or fittings.
How to measure for laminate and wood flooring
Measuring your rooms for laminate and wood flooring is just the same as measuring for a carpet or vinyl floor: simply measure your length and width of your room, and then add an extra 10cm to allow for cutting.
Our laminate and wood flooring comes in fixed pack sizes, and we have an online Flooring Calculator to help you work out how much you need to buy. Just enter your measurements when ordering, and our online Flooring Calculator will tell you!
ScS measuring service
We understand that not everyone is confident measuring their room for new carpet or flooring, and it can be expensive if your new flooring isn’t an exact fit. That’s why at ScS we offer a free measuring service so we can do the hard work for you.
Simply complete the request a call back form online when making your order, or call our Carpet & Flooring Hotline on 0800 731 0048 to book an appointment with one of our experts.
Order a carpet sample
Ordering your samples
We know that you want to see the look and feel of a carpet before you commit to buying, that’s why you can request a free carpet sample online for many of our carpet ranges. Simply click the ‘Request Sample’ link on each carpet product page, complete your details and a carpet sample will be sent direct to your doorstep within a couple of days.
Alternatively, you can visit your local ScS store and view our wide range of in store carpet samples.
Underlay for carpets, wood and laminate flooring
We have a range of underlay to choose from depending on your requirements, you can find out about the different types of underlay in our carpet buying guide.ADD UNDERLAY TILES
At ScS we strongly recommend that new underlay is laid when your new carpet, wood or laminate flooring is fitted. New underlay has many benefits and will also help to make sure that you get the most out of your new flooring.
- give you extra cushioning, making your carpet, wood or laminate flooring even more comfortable underfoot
- help to insulate your room, retaining heat which can help to reduce your energy bills
- help to reduce noise - ideal for family homes or those living in flats
- help to prolong the life of a carpet by up to 50%
- act as a shock absorber for carpets, allowing them to withstand more wear and tear
- reduce air borne sound under laminate and wood flooring.
Poor quality underlay can lead to the risk of voiding your carpet warranty, but our carpet specialists are happy to help you determine which type of underlay will provide the best support for your carpet.
Once you’ve chosen your carpet or flooring and determined the size you will need for your room, your thoughts will probably turn to carpet accessories and at ScS, we’ve got all of your flooring needs covered.
Gripper is used to hold your carpet in place and must be used all around the room, except doorways where door bars are used. The gripper rods need to be to 2/3 the depth of the carpet away from the wall, in doubt, call our Flooring Hotline and one of our experts will be happy to discuss how much gripper will be needed for your room.
Door bars are used to separate and hold your carpet in place, as well as finishing the end of the carpet in the doorway. Available in aluminium or brass, one of our personal shopping advisors will discuss if you need a Cover Strip, Single Edge, Double Edge or Z Edge;
- Cover strip – holds soft backed carpets i.e. rubber or foam
- Single edge – holds carpet to floor or vinyl
- Double edge – holds 2 carpets together
- Z edge – holds carpet to laminate or ceramic tiles.
Cancellation and returns for flooring
At ScS we understand that your circumstances can change unexpectedly, so you are able to cancel your order at any time before the flooring is laid. However, if the flooring has already been cut to size, this may affect the amount of reimbursement you receive. Once your new flooring has been laid, you will not be able to cancel your contract unless the flooring is detective. For more details, please see our Cancellations and Returns Policy.Return to home