What is a modular sofa?
Do you find yourself thinking "what is a modular sofa and how will it look in my home?" Take a look at how our customers have styled modular sofas in their homes and discover our pick of the best modular sofas below.
What is the difference between a modular and a sectional sofa?
The main difference between a modular and a sectional sofa is how they can be assembled. A modular sofa refers to two or more chair-sized ‘modules’ that can be fitted together to create a U shaped or L shaped sofa, perfect for extra legroom.
Compared with a sectional sofa, which describes a sofa that is built in one piece, or ‘sections’ of a sofa combined with a chaise. Most commonly sectional sofas are designed to wrap around a corner.
What is a modular sofa?
Modular or sectional sofas are made up of a series of movable sofa pieces that can be slotted together in various configurations. Depending on the space you have available will impact the variation that works best for you and your home.
The modular sofa splits into chaise ends, corner units and ends without arms.
By fitting together separate parts of your sofa; you can easily assemble a couch that fits perfectly into any room size. Choose from a snug 2-seater, or create a large L-shaped modular corner sofa that matches your home exactly to make the most of your space.
For even more flexibility, many modular sofas also come with an ottoman. Offering enhanced comfort, versatility and sometimes extra storage space, they’re ideal for busy homes.
What are the benefits of a modular sofa?
It’s easy to see why modular sofas are a household favourite as we look into these main benefits:
- Modular sofas are flexible and adjustable, allowing you the freedom to switch up your room layout easily.
- Hugely practical and versatile, especially when you need to move individual sofa parts smoothly through narrow doors and hallways
- Can help to maximise space, especially in smaller living rooms
- Adds a comfortable and modern addition to your home
- Available in a variety of shapes, styles and colourways
What to consider with a modular sofa
Whilst modular sofas have a lot of beneficial properties, there are still some factors to consider:
- Ensure you take accurate measurements before ordering, as there are several components involved so be mindful to add all of these dimensions together. It’s equally as important to take accurate measurements of the area in which you intend to place your sofa
- Choose the best configuration to maximise your space and how you typically use your living room
- As modular sofas have a large surface area it’s important to choose upholstery that you won’t tire of, a neutral shade may work best as you can easily dress this up with interchangeable accessories rather than a loud print that has the potential to look busy
How do you style a modular couch?
Chic, practical and perfect for hosting are just a few of the reasons our modular sofas are so popular. Now it’s just knowing how best to style them.
We’ve got a few sofa styling ideas that hopefully should help. As we’ve mentioned a modular sofa is the perfect companion for entertaining so pairing it with a fun and functional coffee table makes perfect sense.
For added fun and texture position near a faux fur rug or a statement art piece. This will work especially well with a neutral modular sofa as it offers the perfect backdrop for bright and playful colours.
Another way to inject colour into a grey or beige modular sofa is with some pretty patterned cushions. These could be easily swapped
out seasonally or whenever you fancy a change.
Throws are another interchangeable soft furnishing that can completely alter the look of your sofa, patterned or plain, velvet or chenille – the possibilities are endless.
Modular sofa layout ideas
The right furniture layout is key to creating a functional and relaxing space. Here are a few ideas to hopefully get you feeling inspired:
- Add Just add on the optional chaise ends to make your modular sofa perfect for family nights in
- Position the modular sofa parallel the back wall directly in front of the television for optimal viewing and comfort
- Wrap the modular sofa around a coffee table for easy access and a contemporary feel
- Perfect for regular entertainers – create a conversation ring layout, whereby your modular sofa and additional chairs are positioned in a circle for an inclusive feel
Living room design layouts for modular sofas
Wondering how to style a small living room? Choose the parts of the modular sofa to fit into any room size and create the perfect sized sofa for a small space. This is the beauty of a modular sofa, you have a lot more control over the design and usability of your living space.
Think about using the back of a modular corner sofa as a space-saving natural room divider.
When styling a fabric modular sofa like the Ariel, try creating a feeling of open space by leaving the chaise end free of cushions. Alternatively, add cushions and throws to blend in the extra chaise end seamlessly. Take a look at the below for some inspiration!
The best modular sofas
We’ve rounded up some of the best modular sofas to get you inspired for your next purchase.
Easily combine classic designs and vibrant fabric accents with our Spark corner sofa.
Don’t just take our word for it, this has the seal of approval from our customers too. Here’s what they had to say about the Spark corner sofa:
Donna Louise – 5/5 Stars
“Great sofa & extremely comfy. Fits really well in the corner of our living room and a great price.”
Matt – 5/5 Stars
“Love this spark 1 corner 3 sofa looks great in my living room goes with my decor and is comfortable it comes with 3 cushions as well.”
Penny G – 4/5 Stars
“Lovely sofa delivered and fitted perfectly. Very happy.”
2. La-Z-Boy Nevada
Experience the ultimate in comfort and flexibility with one of our popular La-Z-Boy recliner corner sofas. The Nevada is available in 12 attractive colourways, so you can be sure to find a perfect match for your interior scheme.
Miss Trickey gave the La-Z-Boy Nevada 2 Corner 2 Manual Recliner a 5 star rating. They said:
“Sofa of our dreams! Customised the colour and trim to black and have a chaise lounge!”
Upgrade your lounge with the aesthetically-appealing Libby Corner Sofa. With its beautiful stud detailing around the arms that really add to its grand presence, this sofa will be the perfect spot to welcome friends and family.
Here’s what some of our happy customers say about our Libby sofa:
Kazza – 5/5 Stars
“Beautiful piece of furniture and sooo comfortable would definitely recommend looks amazing in my room.”
Karen K – 5/5 Stars
“Great quality, great service and delighted with it in situ.”
4. La-Z-Boy Tamla
Sit back and relax in style with the La-Z-Boy Tamla Corner Sofa. Renowned for its luxurious cushioning and with a choice of more than six colours, there is sure to be a corner group or sofa that is just right for you and your home.
Creaser gave the La-Z-Boy Tamla 1 Corner 3 Manual Recliner a 5-star rating. They said:
“Quality product and very comfy, is beautiful, Delivered great, looks lovely and material is good.”
Subscribe to our newsletter