Last updated, 21 July 2021
The privacy and security of your personal information is extremely important to us. This policy explains how and why we use your personal data, to make sure you can be confident about giving us your information.
In this policy, whenever you see the words 'we', 'us', 'our', we are referring to:
A Share & Sons Limited trading as ScS
45-49 Villiers Street
Company number: 00323778
Telephone: 0191 731 3300
We are registered as a Data Controller with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO); our registration number is Z1588442
Collecting your personal information
We collect your personal information, such as your name, your email address and your phone number, when you;
- Make a purchase in one of our stores
- Make a purchase online at www.scs.co.uk
- Make a purchase via myScSlive
- Book an in store appointment
- Subscribe to our newsletter
- Request a carpet sample
- Request a call-back
We may collect, store and use the following kinds of personal information:
- Information about your browsing device and about your visits to and use of this website (including your IP address, geographical location, browser type, referral source, length of visit, entry and exit points and number of page views)
- Information relating to any transactions carried out between you and us, on or in relation to our website, including information relating to any purchases you make of ScS goods
- Information that you provide to us for the purpose of subscribing to our email communications
- Information about how you interact with our website and our emails (including opens, clicks and preference information)
- Any other information that you choose to share with us.
- Please note, although we operate myScSlive in a select few stores, the video element is viewed on a live feed and we do not record it.
How we use your personal information
We may use the data we collect to operate our business and to provide you with the range of products we offer. This includes using data to improve our products and to personalise your experience with us.
We share your personal data with your consent, or as necessary, to complete any transaction or provide updates regarding the product(s) you have ordered.
We use the personal information you provide us with in the following ways;
- To maintain our customer relationship management and resource planning systems for customer orders
- To ensure customer service levels are maintained (this includes the monitoring of recorded inbound and outbound calls).
- To sell our goods during the order process and to provide you with information of related services (this includes live chat on the ScS.co.uk website, fraud prevention at point of sale, network and information security on the website, home survey visits, disclosure to third-party couriers and fitting organisations and provision of after sales services including independent inspections)
- To arrange finance and provide warranties for your product(s) (this includes credit checking and sharing of personal data with the applicable third party finance provider, V12, Creation or Ikano, and providers of warranties)
- To send you service messages relating to the status of your order(s) once complete
- For crime prevention and detection including CCTV and reporting of possible criminal acts or threats to the authorities
- To collect debts, deal with disputes and bring and defend legal claims against our company. This includes credit checks, involvement of legal advisors, involvement of Retail ADR procedures and the Financial Ombudsman Service
- To send you relevant marketing communications that you opt-in to receive (you can tell us at any time that you no longer want to receive these communications)
- To personalise the ScS user experience through associated data sharing and digital profiling by third parties
- To analyse data and produce reports for business planning and management (this method uses encrypted, non-identifiable data for input to third parties; output does not include personal information).
When we use your personal information
We only use your personal information under certain circumstances. These are:
- Consent: when your consent is given for one or more specific purposes
- Contract: when you enter into a contract with us
- Legal obligation: when we are required by law to do so
- Legitimate interest: where we've identified this as a legitimate interest of ours or a third party; e.g we consider that use of your personal information is necessary to establish, exercise or defend a legal claim
- Prevention/detection of unlawful acts: this is where we must use personal information without consent so as not to prejudice preventing or detecting unlawful acts
- Public domain: you've deliberately put your sensitive personal information into the public domain.
We will, with your consent, send you email communications with details of offers, promotions, new products and the latest trends. You may, at any time, withdraw your consent to us using your personal information for that purpose.
In exceptional circumstances, we may collect sensitive personal information, for example if you volunteer or provide us with your health data as part of a delivery instruction. If you do so, we will take your volunteering of said information as explicit consent (in that case to make adjustments for the delivery). You may, at any time, withdraw your explicit consent to us using that sensitive personal information.
To withdraw your consent (in all cases other than cookies), please contact us email@example.com
You can find more details on the ICO website at www.ico.org.uk
As we are the Data Controller and process your data, you have legal rights that you can exercise regarding the use of your data:
- Right to access: You may instruct us to provide you with any personal information we hold about you by emailing your request to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Right to object to direct marketing: You may instruct us against processing your personal information for marketing purposes by email at any time. Do this by using the unsubscribe link in any email you receive from us or by emailing email@example.com
- Right to update or correct your information: You can let us know if the personal information we hold about you needs to be corrected or updated by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Right to be forgotten: You have the right to ask us to delete your personal information by emailing email@example.com
- Customer relationship management
- Fraud prevention
- Direct marketing
- Internal administration of customer personal information
- Network and information security
- Reporting possible criminal acts/threats to competent authorities.
- Credit check (from a credit reference agency)
- Confirmation of payment (from a payment processor)
- Information for the finance agreement (from the finance provider)
- Confirmation of delivery/fitting (from a third-party carpet fitter, courier or direct home delivery)
- Inspection report (from an independent inspector)
- Legal advice (from legal advisors)
- Report on a dispute (from Retail Alternative Dispute Resolution).
- Credit reference agencies (for credit checks)
- Payment processors (to process payments)
- A finance provider (where you take out finance)
- A third-party carpet fitter (who may deliver and will fit your carpet)
- A third-party courier (for delivery)
- A product manufacturer (where they deliver direct to your home)
- An independent inspector (to inspect products where there's a potential problem)
- Legal advice (for legal claims)
- Retail ADR (for disputes raised)
- A Data Processor (for sending email marketing)
- Google (we only use pseudonymised data for market research)
- Other recipients as permitted or required by applicable law
- for access to your personal information
- for rectification or erasure of your personal information
- for restriction of processing concerning you
- to object to our processing which is based on legitimate interests
- to object to direct marketing
- to object to archiving in the public interest, research and statistics
- to port (transfer) personal information you have provided to us, either to you or to another provider.
Your information will be retained for a given period. That period of time is established in relation to the purposes for which your data was originally collected or for which it is to be processed further, whichever is longer.
Email marketing policy
On occasion, where you have made a purchase from us via finance, your finance provider (V12, Creation, or Ikano) may email you information on further credit available to you. We won't sell or rent you personal information and we will never share your information with companies outside of our own for inclusion in their own marketing emails.
We send emails to our customers and subscribers. You control what communications you receive via a preference centre which is linked to within those emails. You can unsubscribe at any time, using the unsubscribe link within any marketing emails you receive or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Unsubscribes will be processed within one week of the request being received.
On occasion, where you have browsed a particular product or abandoned your basket mid-way through a purchase, we'll use your consented cookie activity to send you emails based on your previous browsing habits.
Please note that we are required via our purchase contracts to send you relevant and necessary updates regarding your order, which includes order confirmation emails, known as service emails. Due to the legality of these communications, you are not able to unsubscribe from digital order-related communications.
Key information required by the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
Who we are
The purposes for which the personal information is used for as well as the legal basis for the use can be used as follows:
Our legitimate interests are:
Personal information collected indirectly
We collect the following categories of personal information indirectly (e.g. from third parties):
We may share your information with:
Transfers outside the European Economic Area (EU member states, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein) (EEA)
We do not transfer your data to countries outside the European Economic Area.
Third party links
You may find links to third party websites on our site, such as Appointedd our appointment booking provider. Such websites will have their own privacy policies, you should read and accept these before you use or submit any data to them.
We are not responsible for their policies or the way they use your data, and we will not be liable for any loss, damage or distress you may suffer or incur as a consequence.
Please note that some of our warranties (which are contracts) are for up to a 20-year period. For that reason, it may be necessary for us to keep your personal information for a length of time which reflects said warranty.
You have rights to make a request to us:
Withdrawal of consent
You have a right to withdraw any consent you give us at any time. This will not affect the legality of our consent-based use before you withdrew consent. To exercise your right to withdraw, please email email@example.com
You have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority. Within the UK you have a right to complain to the Information Commissioner. www.ico.org.uk
Information collected directly - legal or contract requirement
It is a purchase contract requirement that you provide your contact details, the address to which your product should be delivered and other mandatory information within the order process. This includes a credit check where you take out a finance agreement.
We do not conduct automated decision-making in conjunction with creating a contract of sale. Some third-party providers, where relevant, may use automated decision making, e.g. finance applications. However, customers have the right to appeal to the third-party directly.